An Empowerment Training to Prevent Sexual Abuse and Molestation
This training package contains three comprehensive web-based courses that address the increasing number of Sexual Abuse and Molestation (SAM) allegations and incidents in our schools. The SAM training courses provide strategies, resources, and tools to effectively educate, equip and empower three distinct audiences.
Site Based School Staff
Participants will deepen their understanding of sexual abuse and molestation and its impact on all involved. They will learn the warning signs and characteristics of sexual misconduct by staff members – grooming, exploiting, etc., and the steps to take should they know of an incident and how to create clear professional boundaries that protect staff as well as students.
Introducing and providing information on the topic, including how to ask appropriate questions, how to build and encourage trust and open communication, what behavioral changes to look for, how best to talk with children about boundaries and respect, and what to do and where to go if a child reports an incident.
Utilizing an age-appropriate empowerment approach, this training equips students with the knowledge, motivation, and skills to understand the issue and its impact, express empathy and support for the targeted individual, know appropriate reporting procedures and where to get help.
Courses include the following elements designed for target audiences:
- Proactive Approach vs. Reactive Approach: The importance of setting up a climate of connection to prevent opportunities for SAM
- Notice: How to identify signs of trouble (i.e. signs of grooming)
- Communicate: How to ask questions in a supportive, non-threating way without shaming (i.e. age appropriate conversations with your child/students; how to handle resistance in a collaborative/supportive way)
- Act: Steps to take if something is brought to your attention, or if you have that feeling that something ‘is just not right’
- Administrator Introduction: A two-hour training delivered by a Community Matters Trainer providing an overview of the modules, a road map on how to deliver the training and initial access to the online platform. It is designed for district, county education entities, and school pool level staff that is responsible for the oversight and implementation of the trainings
- Guides including lessons, promotional materials, and resources for the web-based training modules
- Certificate of Completion for online and in-person training participants