This workshop has been postponed, please check back for new date in 2020.
Effectively stopping hate and promoting inclusivity will not happen unless schools also have a well-defined culture and climate improvement plan – one that identifies strategies that result in a safer and more compassionate school that is built on a foundation of empathy and equity.
This one-day workshop will provide five key strategies that when implemented with fidelity have proven to increase school connectivity and safety, create greater respect for diversity, improve attendance and increase academic achievement:
- Conducting forums, class discussions and assemblies that can break down barriers and challenge stereotypes, prejudice and assumptions
- Increasing youth empowerment and youth voice opportunities
- Increasing professional development for all staff focused on skills that strengthen relationships and connections between staff and students
- Implementing effective SEL curriculum and programs
- Instituting discipline policies and practices that are corrective and restorative